So I was trying to find a document in my Google Drive where I’d once made a list of all the trips I’d ever taken (ever, from age 0 til now) and I still can’t find it but I did find a document called “2020 Travel” and when I opened it, I saw all the trips that I’d hoped to take.
None of which are happening now since we’ll most likely be in quarantine until at least June and I have to yet again find another job and I don’t want to start a new job and immediately be all, “Well, yes, I’m super excited to start but I’d wanted to take two weeks to go show my partner Europe, is that cool?”
I mean I wouldn’t put it past me to do that, but I’d rather not because it’s not responsible, ya know?
So I thought I’d commiserate with everyone who has had to cancel all of their travel plans – or the hopes of planning certain trips – and write it here for everyone to see so that they wouldn’t feel so depressed about their own canceled plans.
- Boston & Maine, January 17 – January 20: This my partner and I went on! It was lots of fun. I should write about this more.
- Portugal, March 5 – March 12: The last trip that I took and just made it back into the country on time before the US started closing borders down.
- CANCELED: Getaway Cabin, April 17 – 19: I thought it might be nice to take a weekend to go to one of those tiny cabins in upstate New York the weekend in between me and my boyfriend’s birthdays (our birthdays are exactly one week apart) because I could just relax and write and read and he could go look at trees or hike, or whatever people do in the woods. Alas, we’ll be celebrating our birthdays in quarantine this year.
- PROBABLY CANCELED: Heathen Hill in the Catskills, July 17 – July 19: I’m still not sure whether or not my annual weekend in Heathen Hill will proceed as planned. I’m crossing my fingers, but my hopes are pretty dismal.
- CANCELED: Various European Cities, August 1 – August 13: This was literally just me pondering trips that Nick and I could take so I could introduce him to Europe. He’s been to various Asian and Central American countries, but never to Europe. I thought two weeks would be nice and we could probably go to London, Berlin, Munich, and maybe Amsterdam. Who knows. We hadn’t discussed anything passed, “let’s go to Europe!” so those cities are all complete guesses. Oh well. Maybe next summer!
- CANCELED: Switzerland, Belgium, Germany, November 27 – December 3: For the last couple of years I’ve really, really wanted to go to Switzerland, Belgium, and Germany around Thanksgiving time for the Christmas markets and I’ve yet to be able to make it happen.
- Week-Long Heathen Hill Teachers Retreat, October: Or if I couldn’t make it back to Europe for the Christmas Markets, I was going to consider my teacher’s annual retreat FOR teachers at the same spot in the Catskills. The last two years that I’ve taken weekend trips to Heathen Hill have been nothing short of heavenly but they’ve also been a little stressful. Like, we just got here and now we’re leaving! There’s so little time! And two years ago I was waiting with bated breath to hear from my real estate broker to see whether my board application had been approved to purchase and move into the apartment where I currently reside.
So, there you have it. Those were my travel aspirations for 2020 that have (mostly) gone by the wayside. When COVID-19 is eradicated and people are no longer ordered to shelter-in-place, Nick and I will probably take a weekend up in Boston, or maybe even New Hampshire! But probably somewhere close. Maybe we’ll even make it to one of those Getaway Cabins! Who knows.
What are your travel plans that got canceled this year? Do you still have any trips confirmed for the second half of the year that you’re hoping don’t get canceled? Leave me a comment and let me know!
Until then, say hi if you see me outside. I’ll most likely be looking like this: