That Girl Away

Visiting the Blue Lagoon in Iceland

I’m going to tell y’all that the hype is real about the Blue Lagoon! Someone is going to yell at me for being basic but I don’t care. I am SO GLAD I made the decision to head straight to the Blue Lagoon from Keflavik Airport last Thursday. I had originally planned to go on my way home on Sunday but when I went to buy my ticket about a week ahead of time, the good time slots were all taken so I switched my plans and decided to go directly from the airport when I landed.


I got off the plane, went through customs, and then followed the signs through to ground transportation. I believe I’d originally booked an 8:45 am bus to the Blue Lagoon but when I went to the counter to ask where the hell I was supposed to be going, the very helpful woman who was working at the counter checked me in and said I could move my bus trip up to the 7:30 am bus and get there early. I was more than happy to do that because I didn’t want to hang out in the airport for any longer than I had to.

She printed out my ticket and I hopped on the bus.

A quick 20 minutes later, we drove into the parking lot, emptied off the bus, and walked up the stone pathway to the entrance of the world famous Blue Lagoon.

I’d heard a lot of people say it was too crowded, too touristy, not worth it, too expensive…

But I’m here to debunk all that bullshit and tell you that it was: a) not crowded, b) worth every penny.

I checked in at the front desk and was given my towel and robe, as well as my bracelet which would enable me to get my free face mask and my free drink – score! I went into the locker area and undressed so I could put on my robe and first go shower. I’m SO glad that I remembered to bring a pair of flip flops (don’t forget these if you’re going!). Otherwise, I would’ve been walking around the showers and locker room area barefoot and, ew. They instructed us to put conditioner in our hair prior to entering the lagoon, so I did that, too.

I put my iPhone in a waterproof case and brought it out the lagoon with me. I hung up my robe and towel on the hook that corresponded to my locker number and walked down the ramp into the lagoon.

It is absolutely stunning. It was around 8:30 am by the time I made it out into the water, so it wasn’t crowded, and the weather was perfect (low 50*s F). I took a few photos and then started wading around in the lagoon. I spotted two women around my age taking pictures and I asked if they’d take a few for me and they said of course. Turns out they were from Albuquerque, New Mexico! So random! They were super nice and after I’d taken a good number of photos I decided to put my phone back in my locker so I wouldn’t have to worry about it.

I looked around at the other people in the Lagoon and saw that almost everyone who had their phone in a waterproof case was holding it above the water. No one wanted to take a chance and possibly ruin their iPhone while on holiday. I laughed a little bit at this.

I came back out into the Lagoon after putting my phone away and went to the Lagoon-side bar to get my free drink. I had zero desire to start drinking at 9am so I ordered a berry smoothie. YUM. It was delicious. I was so, so happy.

The Lagoon-side bar!

I went and got my free clay mask, too, and after applying it, I found my new Friends From Alberquerqe and asked if they wouldn’t mind taking a photo on their phone and then sending it to me. They were more than happy to oblige.

Super sexy.

I had a 10:30am appointment for a 30-minute in-water massage so I had some time to kill. I went into the sauna and the steam bath and hung out in the super warm areas of the Lagoon.

The Cutest Moment in the Lagoon

There was a random, happy duck swimming back and forth in the Lagoon. No one was bothering him and he was definitely living his best life. He was adorable. I wish I could’ve taken a photo!

The In-Water Massage

After killing all the time I possibly could, I went over to the quiet part of the Lagoon where there was a barrier and a bunch of massage therapists waiting. A massage therapist in a t-shirt came over to me and I said, “Aren’t you cold?” and he replied, “No! It’s SO warm out!” He started by putting the most magnificent smelling oil all over my back and then helping me onto the raft that he then unrolled. He told me to close my eyes and relax and I felt the raft start to move.

I kept my eyes closed and I honestly have no idea where we drifted off to but the massage was amazing and totally worth the splurge. Every now and then he would dip the middle part of the after under the water so that, presumably, I could warm up if I was cold. I was so sad when the massage was over, but all good things must end.

I think I put the clay mask on once more for five minutes and then made my way back to the locker rooms to shower and get changed.

What Did it Cost?

I think the entire experience cost me $280 – which included entry into the Lagoon, the 30-minute massage, transportation from the airport to the Blue Lagoon, and transportation afterward from the Blue Lagoon to downtown Reykjavik. Overall: Not really that bad.

I felt incredibly relaxed and rejuvenated after my four or so hours at the Lagoon – and even when I left and it was almost noon, it still wasn’t that crowded! And it’s their busy season!

So, you can thank you later when you ignore the haters and check out the Blue Lagoon because it will be EPIC. If you have any questions about visiting the Blue Lagoon, let me know in the comments below!


Leave a Reply